Black Bears Day Camp!
Camp is a great way to spend the summer! Our youngest campers have plenty of time for free, creative play in our beautiful classroom centers. Every morning, children have the choice to play with small group games, building blocks, math manipulatives, pencil and paper, or an art project. Campers gather together in a daily circle to share stories, practice quiet time, and play together. In addition, we offer swim time and outdoor play amongst the trees every day! For those little campers who want to learn a new skill, we offer two special classes each session including music, ceramics, fiber arts, soccer, drama, and coding through Minecraft. We also offer beginner swim lessons during camp by Shalene Hill! For more information, please visit our swim page.
Red Wolves Day Camp!
Camp is a great way to spend the summer! With enough time for free, creative, unbound play amongst our hundreds of trees and in our swimming pool, campers have energetic early morning dance parties in the gym, get active with our basketball hoops and tennis courts, play together in group games, and still find the time for a little quiet relaxation. We offer swim time every day, in addition to two special classes a session for campers who choose to learn a new skill, including music, ceramics, fiber arts, soccer, drama, and coding through Minecraft. We also offer swim lessons during camp by Shalene Hill! For more information, please visit our swim page.
Camp is a great way to spend the summer! With enough time for free, creative, unbound play amongst our hundreds of trees and in our swimming pool, campers can be seen throwing energetic early morning dance parties in the gym, getting active with our basketball hoops and tennis courts, playing together in group games, creating together in design challenges, and still finding the time for a little quiet relaxation. We offer swim time every day, in addition to two special classes a session for campers who choose to learn a new skill, including music, ceramics, fiber arts, soccer, drama, and coding through Minecraft. We also offer swim lessons during camp by Shalene Hill! For more information, please visit our swim page.
Mountain Lions especially will enjoy more independent time, have a greater voice in choosing their own games and activities. The older group will also take more walking trips from camp, heading toward the Botanical Gardens to enjoy the wildlife or toward Montford park to play soccer in the grass.
Every week Odyssey Campers can choose a special camp class in the afternoons!
Taught by Lydia Hearne, summer ceramics is all about creative whimsy! Students work with texture, handbuilding, underglazes, and create up to four projects to bring home.
Nicholas Rake is returning to teach coding this summer, guiding campers to create through technology! Nicholas does a fantastic job differentiating his coding instruction so that campers of all skill levels can learn something new every day.
Monica Wright, a student of vocal music education at Lee University in Tennessee and participant in the Berkley School of Music Theater Summer Program, is offering a new music class this summer! The focus for this class will be developing community, play, joy, and movement through music!
World-renowned musician, River Guerguerian, teaches percussion in his recording studio! Campers receive direct instrument instruction, and have a chance to truly unleash their creativity through rhythm every day.
Coach Eli is back again, ready to teach students serious soccer skills. Of course, campers get a chance for serious soccer play too! Each day, Eli coaches students in honing their skill and sportsmanship, inspiring a true love of the game.
For a schedule of which classes are offered when, please view our camp registration forms.
Junior Counselors at Odyssey Summer Camp
Each summer, we invite a small group of dedicated teenagers to join our camp as Junior Counselors. JCs spend the summer modeling safe and inclusive play, learning to design and execute group games, conflict resolution, and learning the ropes of camp counseling! Our lead counselors support their learning by allowing them to lead a group activity for an hour each day.
The responsibilities of Junior Counseling include:
- Be a role model! Younger campers will look up to you and mimic your style: make it awesome. Show them what it means to be a good friend, to share, to play nicely, and to be truly, hilariously, you.
- Abide by your lead counselors. Part of that role modeling requires attentiveness to the lead counselors. If they need help, please jump in (certainly when they ask, if not before!). They may ask you to help with set up, clean up, or errand-running: you are their support!
- Get messy! There is more information below about play partnering and facilitating, but please know that we want you to have fun! That’s part of the joy of being a junior counselor, so don’t hesitate to jump in the mix and be a kid!
- Yet, not too messy… Balance is a beautiful thing. Please recall #1 in your play and model good self-organization skills. The senior counselors will be very busy watching over campers, so please be sure to take responsibility for your things and contribute to a clean and organized play space.
Keep your eyes peeled. Be sure to keep a close eye on the campers around you. If you see anything worrisome, potentially unsafe or harmful, let your senior counselors know.
- Relax. There’s that need for balance again! Try not to get too worried about managing the kids and conflict: you have senior counselors around to help you. When in doubt, always ask for help.
- Learn to be a leader. You’ll get a chance to run an activity each day you’re at camp. Practice positive leadership skills by observing senior counselors. You’ll have a chance to learn new games, share games you know and love, and learn how to manage a group. Remember that this can be tricky and learning the tricks of the trade will make camp (and life!) more fun!
Junior Counselors are 13-18 years old, and preferably they once attended Odyssey Summer Camp or Odyssey School themselves!
Asheville’s best kept secret!
Odyssey has a junior Olympic-sized pool and two tennis courts. Lap swim (one lane) is an option during all pool hours. Pool and tennis memberships are open to all families in the Asheville area.
Look to the right side of this screen for the blue “Apply Today” button to find our membership application form, pool hours, open season, and applicable rates.