Our Mission is to prepare students, families, and educators to lead the 21st century with an authentic sense of self.
Our Vision: Through the study of the Integral Model and the application of Design-Thinking, our students, families, and faculty communicate with brave kindness, lead with an authentic sense of self, and make positive change through connecting consciousness and creativity.
OCS is a diverse learning community. We model educational leadership and innovation. We teach from a rich curriculum encompassing six integral developmental strands. We are dedicated to providing Integral learning to children, adolescents, and adults through the implementation of multiple intelligence theory and encouraging essential life-long learning skills. We challenge students and teachers to meet appropriate academic and developmental goals. We create and maintain facilities that meet our educational needs. We are a strong community developed through mutual respect and personal responsibility. We use the tools of Compassionate Communication, Positive Discipline, and Restorative Justice to meet our community’s needs. OCS members relate to life with confidence, hope, joy, compassion, creative imagination and leadership.
Our students, families, and faculty communicate with brave kindness, lead with an authentic sense of self, and create positive change with an awareness of the spiritual evolution of the individual, society, and our environment.
Our Core Values
Exploring an authentic sense of self, our world, and the relationship between the two
Leading the field of education with dynamic educational philosophy
Honoring the love and accomplishments of learning
Nurturing a safe and inspiring community
Cultivating Life-long learning skills
How we demonstrate our dedication to exploring an authentic sense of self, our world, and the relationship between the two:
- Low-student teacher ratios in every classroom.
- Structuring classrooms of multi-age, continuous progress learning that encourage each child to progress at his or her optimal rate of challenge.
- Incorporating interpersonal and intrapersonal reflection into the context of learning.
- Using the six strands to incorporate a variety of skills, addressing students’ strengths and challenges in multiple learning styles.
How we demonstrate our dedication to leading the field of education with dynamic educational philosophy:
- Engaging students, parents, and faculty in the Integral model of education, which holds within it the holistic paradigm, the spiritual evolution and maturation of the individual, human society, and the greater field of life on the planet.
- Applying Design and Design thinking to solution-oriented and innovative project-based learning.
- Meeting and exceling core competencies including critical thinking and reflection.
- Researching, publishing, presenting best practices for the local and national professional learning community.
How we demonstrate our dedication to honoring the love and accomplishments of learning:
- Creating integrated, meaningful learning experiences in every classroom
- Introducing our Independent Research Projects in Kindergarten through 12th grade, engaging focused, passion-drived mastery of a personal topic of study chosen by each child.
- Providing our students the freedom to explore personal passions.
- Assisting our upper grades students in creating internship and apprenticeship opportunities for real world exploration of disciplines.
- Providing opportunities for public presentation and publication of student work in the local, national, and global community.
How we demonstrate our dedication to developing a safe and inspiring community:
- Creating a school without borders through contextual, experential learning experiences in real world settings.
- Fostering mentoring relationships between faculty and students.
- Engaging in service learning opportunities.
- Celebrating as a community through annual festivals.
- Teaching students, families, and teachers compassionate communication, collaboration, and mediation skills through contextual learning, class meetings, parent workshops, and professional development.
How we demonstrate our dedication to cultivating lifelong learning skills:
- Educating students, families, and faculties about Odyssey’s nine essential learning skills.
- Cultivating reflective metacognition about the learning process for each child through Six Strands.
- Modeling lifelong learning by faculty and administration.
- Creating leadership opportunities for students to pave the way for their individual path of learning.